Boots Allen is a third generation guide and outfitter from Western Wyoming. Over the last 18 years, he has had the opportunity to fish and guide at destinations around the world, including Argentina, Russia, Mongolia, Kazakhstan, Costa Rica, British Columbia, and the streams of the Rocky Mountain West. He has penned numerous articles for fly fishing magazines such as Fly Tyer, The Fly Fishing and Tying Journal, The Drake, and Sports Afield. Boots has used his creations at the fly tying vise for a variety of game fish including taimen, pike, lenok, sea-run brown trout, steelhead, pacific salmon, snook, roosterfish, redfish, and almost every imaginable species of trout.
- Hook: Standard 1/0 or 2/0 saltwater hook (example- Mustad 34007)
- Thread: Chartruese 3/0 flat wax nylon
- Body: Ice or Krystal Flash chenille, gold or light olive
- Top Wing: Super Hair or Crinkle Hair, blue
- Interior Lateral Line: Krystal Flash chenille - gold or pearl
- Exterior Lateral Line: Super Hair or Crinkle Hair, sea-foam green or olive
- Belly Wing: Super Hair or Crinkle Hair, light blue.
[object:flv:http://www.theweeklyfly.com/patterns/videos/DeerHairSlider_FULL.flv width:400 height:300 bonus:http://www.theweeklyfly.com/patterns/posterframes/DeerHairSlider.jpg]
Doug Mcknight plays with deer hair in this multipurpose topwater fly.
Livingston tier and guide Doug McKnight hails originally from Pensylvania, but now lives in Livingston, MT. He is currently a fly designer for Umpqua Feather Merchants and also creates beautiful display flies in custom shadow boxes.
- Thread: Flat Wax Nylon
- Eyes: Doll Eyes
- Tail: 4-6 Saddle eyes
- Body: Spun Deer Hair trimmed to Bullet Shape
- Weed Guard: Heavy Mono
For updates on new patterns each week try signing up for our RSS Feed. Its simpler than it sounds!