I have been fly fishing and tying flies for the past 15 years. From 2001 to 2005, I worked for the late Andre Puyans helping at his fly fishing seminars in Idaho. More recently, I'm a fly fishing instructor for Wilderness Unlimited and The Becoming an Outdoor Woman programs.
You can find me hanging around the tier's row at the west coast fly fishing shows and expos in the early spring. Bass fishing with a fly in the California Delta on hot summer nights for a double digit fish is the current goal.
This fly is great for the skinny damsel nymphs found in lakes in the Sierra Nevadas.
- Hook: Daiichi 1270 size 8
- Thread: 8/0 Olive
- Eyesl: Mono
- Tail: Jay Fair brown/olive marabou
- Body: Jay Fair brown/olive marabou ribbed with chartreuce flashabou
- Thorax: Jay Fair brown/olive long shuck
- Wingcase: olive magic shell
- Legs: Jay Fair brown/ olive shuck - trimmed.
[object:flv:http://www.theweeklyfly.com/patterns/videos/L2HFHi-VisDamsel.flv width:400 height:300 bonus:http://www.theweeklyfly.com/patterns/posterframes/L2HFHi-VisDamsel.jpg]
I grew up in Michigan and have fished as long as I can remember. After graduating college, I moved to California and gravitated toward fly fishing almost exclusively. I have been tying “seriously” since 1983 and have been a tying instructor both independently and for several Colorado fly shops since 2000. In 2005 I also began guiding along Colorado’s front range. Currently I am a member of Whiting Farms Pro Staff and am employed by PEAK Fishing and I have several fly patterns commercially available. In addition to guiding, tying instruction and demos, my wife Diana and I own and operate our own company geared primarily toward flyfishing education services. More detailed information is available at www.alrittflies.com.
- Hook: Tiemco 2488
- Thread: UTC 70 Denier
- Tail: Byed and Barred Braided Leader Butt (Available from Hareline Dubbin’ as “Adult Damsel Body”)
- Thorax: Super Fine Dubbing
- Wing: Organza
- Foam Back: Narrow strip of 2mm Closed Cell Foam, majority of length split so foam is 2 narrow legs joined at one end
- Spot/Post: ParaPost Yarn